Update May 13, 2015. Review an updated post here.
Importing journal entries into QuickBooks can be a little tricky if you do not respect the rules that QuickBooks enforces.
Pre-Planning your QuickBooks Journal Entry Imports
Prior to doing a journal entry import using Transaction Pro Importer review your import file to make sure it follows the following criteria:
(1) If you are posting to an account that has an account type of accounts receivable or accounts payable QuickBooks requires that you provide a name (customer, vendor, employee or other name) on that line. Please also note that Transaction Pro requires that this name already exists in QuickBooks unless you enable an advanced option to indicate how you would like new names to be added (this will be covered later in this forum post)
(2) In one journal entry QuickBooks will only allow the use of one accounts receivable or one accounts payable account type.
(3) If you have your debits and credits in separate columns all the numbers in each column must be positive.
Advanced Options within Transaction Pro Importer
To make the import easier there are several options that you can select on the advanced tab of the Transaction Pro Importer.
(1) Does your import file contain only one column of numbers with the debits expressed as positive number and the credits expressed as negative number you should select the option to: “Specify a single column for Debit/Credit instead of separate columns.
(2) Does your import file only contain debits or credits and does not balance? Would you like Transaction Pro to post any out of balances amounts to a specific account? If this is the case then select the option: Journal Offset Account – Out of balance posted to …”
(3) Does the accounts in your import file not match the accounts you have set up in QuickBooks? If so you could enable the option: “Cross reference account description for account name…” Then you would go into QuickBooks pre-import and populate the description field on your accounts with a matching value to what is in your import file.
Please visit our website to download a free demo.